AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pre cutter on hay balers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cyfarmer
Posted 5/19/2023 08:08 (#10234949 - in reply to #10234479)
Subject: RE: Pre cutter on hay balers

NE Iowa
I have a NH Rollbelt 460 with a crop cutter that can make a 4 x 6ft bale - it has 13 knives.
I agree - I can get more hay in a bale because it's cut, but I believe the quality stays better in the bale as well since there is less Oxygen and it is more dense.
I wrap almost everything - wet or dry.
I would have to disagree with Mac - I do notice a difference at the bale feeder. I think since it's shorter stemmed - the cows don't reach in and pull it out as much, seems like they keep their head in and eat. I see less waste around feeders when I use processed bales.
Don't sell any rounds - so can't comment on any pricing difference of the hay.
One thing that can be a challenge is that it will make a bale so hard that you struggle to stab it with forks. This year I will play with the pressure some since it has the ability to make a softer core then increase pressure to the outside.
I have a scale on my loader on the tractor I bale with, and it will make a 2,000 lb plus bale in dry alfalfa packaged in 4 x 6 ft.
I do have to go slower, and it takes some more fuel - but I feel it is a good investment to make a better quality product.
Cyfarmer
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)