AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More on Vegetable Oils
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Johnienhuis
Posted 4/17/2023 17:51 (#10190640 - in reply to #10189901)
Subject: RE: association vs causation

Red River Valley and Devils Lake Basin
John Burns - 4/17/2023 08:35

Glycation and destroying the glycocalyx in the lining of the arteries we know damage and cause problems. High blood sugar levels cause this.

If the research he is talking about is correct, the seed oils just add to this problem of atherosclerosis. Highly processed food containing both sugar and these oils would be a double whammy. Kind of following the association with the increase in heart disease and the modern food processing.

We have had food questionnaire survey research associating seed oils with heart disease. But that type of research can only show association, not causation. The research he is talking about is attempting to figure out causation via the mechanism.

I learned enough four years ago to cut them our of our diet. No proof, but enough association to make me concerned. Plus finding out we have been misled about saturated fat for nearly all of my lifetime. If the powers that be could be that wrong for so long, couldn't they also be wrong about the vegetable (seed) oils being supposedly healthy? I figured it was not only possible, but more likely probable. Money talks, unfortunately, and a lot of money is involved in the food industry.

So we cut them out. We get some incidental amounts when we eat out. But we avoid the big amounts by no longer eating bottle salad dressings which are nearly all vegetable oil. I don't worry about it enough that I am concerned about the splash of oil the hamburger patty at the hamburger joint might get. But we don't have it in the house at home and use 100% animal fats for home cooking.

I hate it because even though I am now a retired farmer, we still raise and sell soybeans from our farm so am still a producer. And soybean oil is a big component of that market for soybeans (and maybe corn to a smaller extent but not our particular crop sales as it goes for poultry feed). But for my own health I do not consume it when I can avoid it. Other people will have to make their own choice for their own health. If the market changes, it might mean we change what we grow because of the economics. Maybe we can burn it in Diesel engines for a better use.

What all is included in the animal fats that you use for cooking? We use butter a fair amount but it would be nice to try something different.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)