AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any downfalls to adding a wireless remote to an electric over Hyd?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/18/2023 11:04 (#10146190 - in reply to #10146047)
Subject: RE: Any downfalls to adding a wireless remote to an electric over Hyd?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I've messed with remotes in various situations but not your exact situation. When trying to have a device controlled my more than one control there could be complications as others have mentioned.

I envision that the remote(s) operate in a momentary fashion so the operator needs to push and hold a button to activate an action. As someone else mentioned just splicing on to the other remote could cause a problem since when pushing the button on one remote might cause the desired action BUT also back feed to the other remote receiver. This is where I would envision that a pair of diodes would be used. Since diodes allow current to flow in just one direction (like a check valve in a water system) using one in each remote connection would allow either device to start an action but not cause any damage by back feeding to the other system.

I ran into a somewhat similar situation with my shop door opener/lights setup. My shop door uses a 3 button UP, DOWN, STOP switch box. Some years ago I purchased a wireless remote system with four channel capacity and several FOBs that could be mated with the receiver. I mounted the receiver in a box outside my shop and ran wires through the wall to in effect push the UP, DOWN, or STOP buttons from a FOB. This worked very well but I did need several FOBs to cover all the vehicles that might enter the shop. Between the trucks, combine, tractors, lawn mower etc. it took several.

Two years ago I investigate using an ESP 32 micro controller to run the door opener/ lights. I could an app on my phone or tablet to communicate via a soft Access point to the micro which was located in an enclosure outside the shed also.

Since I already had the FOB system, I wanted to continue to use it and/or the new system with a phone or tablet. In this respect this might be similar to your situation of having two ways to control the action. In a nutshell I was able to do this without diodes since pushing the UP button on the phone app caused a relay to make a connection in the 3 button box. The other system was also connected to the UP button but because there were relays in it as well, the back feeding was not an issue. The Stop circuit needed to run through the N.C. relays of each device and back to the 3 button box. Pushing any of the three STOP choices would then break the circuit and the door would stop.

I'm happy with my results, I can control any action of the door from the 3 button box by the door, any one of the several FOBs for the old system and any smartphone or tablet equipped with the RemoteXY app. All the choices require that I am reasonably close to the shop. I can also toggle the shop lights by a push button switch in the shed, the FOBs or the phone. All the various combinations are possible so I could start the Door going UP from one and STOP it in place with another etc.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)