AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hwy 54 in Kansas vs Hwy 56
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 3/18/2023 12:45 (#10146306 - in reply to #10145971)
Subject: RE: Hwy 54 in Kansas vs Hwy 56

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

pirlbeck - 3/18/2023 08:50 Hwy 54 and 56 both go diagonally across Kansas and they are approximately 30 to 40 miles apart. I will be pulling a 36' 5th wheel with a Dodge diesel and a Polaris Ranger on a small aluminum trailer behind the 5th wheel. Starting in Mesa, AZ and heading to west central Iowa. Which road is the better option? Amount of traffic, 4 lane highway or passing lanes, fuel availability and good surface conditions are what I am mostly concerned about. Thanks!

Our usual route is I-40 to Tucumcari, 54 from Tucumcari to Pratt KS, then take 61 north from Pratt to catch 50 just outside South Hutchinson, to where it intersects I-35 in Emporia.  Very true that 54 is busy. Lots of truck traffic both ways.  Several fairly long stretches of 4-lane and pretty regularly spaced passing lanes. It's much better.........much much better than it was 10 or 12 years ago, but there is a lot of truck traffic to contend with. Those little towns in TX and OK aren't joking with their posted speed limits, either. Guymon has probably the longest stretch of 45mph speed we're ever traveled!! ;

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)