AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Two computers - switching between
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

epw
Posted 3/5/2023 08:17 (#10124227 - in reply to #10119721)
Subject: RE: Two computers - switching between

Stanley, Manitoba, Canada
Switching the keyboard, mouse, and one screen is easy with a basic KVM switch. I use a Startech SV211HDUA for pretty much exactly what you want to do except that I only have one switched screen and my printer is fully wireless. I have my work laptop set up next to the main screen and use the laptop screen together with the main screen when using that. Currently only using the main screen with the desktop computer.

Multiple monitor KVM switches are available, but your laptop only has one video out. You may be able to get a USB C dock of some sort that would have another video out, but that may depend on the laptop to some degree. The multiple monitor KVM switches also typically don't mix and match video signal types. They appear to be VGA/DVI or HDMI or Displayport, not a mix and match of different protocols, so you would need, for example, two HDMI ports on each computer and HDMI compatible monitors. Running a bunch of adapters may work, but sometimes that's kind of finicky. It still comes down to only having one video out on the laptop though.

Personally, I would use one screen as your switched screen, with the second as the second monitor for the desktop, while the laptop screen is the second screen for that setup.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)