AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I Pad Pro and tax preparation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 1/22/2023 18:50 (#10053769 - in reply to #10052116)
Subject: RE: I Pad Pro and tax preparation

8670 - 1/21/2023 19:49 Have an old HP computer that I’ve been using a 2011 version of quick books to prepare just a detailed profit and loss statement for my tax lady. The computer won’t start up this year. Is there anything that I could use on a I pad pro that would work? I just use the check register and profit and loss statement, none of the other features. Any help would be appreciated. I’m not computer savvy.

The answer to your question about the ipad for Quickbooks is no.

Your best bet (like rosiesdad said) is to get that old computer running again. If you can't do the steps he described, I suggest you find someone who can. Someone like rosiesdad or myself would just get in there and do it in a couple of minutes and we'd know. If you get the right computer repair shop they'll do the same. If you get the wrong one they'll give you lots of suggestions that aren't the most cost effective.

One unpleasant possible outcome is that any version of Quickbooks Desktop that is available for sale right now is quite expensive and locks you into buying a new version every year for $550 dollars or it won't even let you open the program next year. If you update your quickbooks data to the new version then your old 2011 quickbooks will no longer be able to open the file up because they "update" the file structure so that older versions can't work with it anymore.

So then you'll be locked into paying at least $550 per year just to access your data every year.

If someone can't get your computer running again, it will be a real trick to get Quickbooks 2011 working on a different computer:

1. Assuming you didn't back your data up to a USB or something, you'll need someone smart enough to pull your hard drive out of your computer (hopefully it's not your hard drive that failed) and get the data off of it. Some computer repair shops may be familiar enough with Quickbooks to know which files they are looking for and where to find them. Other computer repair shops may not be familiar
  2. You'll need the CD or DVD that you used to install Quickbooks 2011
  3. You'll need the activation key that you used to activate Quickbooks 2011 when you installed it
  4. You'll need your computer guy to build you a computer that will run Windows 7. Windows 8 and newer is too new for Quickbooks 2011
All that you need done is very possible and really not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. It's just that the kind of person who would put all that together for you is probably not super common.

But if you print my response off and take it to computer repair shops they'll be able to read it and at least know what they're up against when they try to decide whether they can solve your problem for you.

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)