AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Traction
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tlefarm
Posted 11/13/2022 15:55 (#9929855 - in reply to #9903939)
Subject: RE: Traction

I’m not a big fan of subscription based software either, but unfortunately, it’s here to stay whether you and I like it or not…but it does have benefits.

I used Farmworks desktop software for 20+ years and I think we paid a $350 annual fee prior to Trimble buying them. So I understand the sticker shock as well. But when you look at it as cost per bushel or percentage of your total budget it’s actually minute.

Our varying perspectives are actually a mindset difference. You’re looking at it purely from a cost standpoint as in how much will it cost to keep my accounting records.

I’m looking at it more from an investment perspective. Sure it’s an annual cost to track my accounting records, but what am I getting in return? That new interface and web UI alone is saving me hours of desktime. Let’s just say it’s saving me 2 hours per week for 50 weeks. (And that’s an understatement). That’s 100 hours per year. That gives me an extra 2.5 weeks of vacation each year, or 100 hours I could spend with our family or in improving other areas of our farm operation.

Since Traction is relatively new, this is the first year for our cost of production and supply and grain inventories to be at our fingertips. But I can’t help but believe that this timely info plus more in the pipeline won’t give us and advantage as we make decisions and ponder opportunities. All it takes is one smarter, faster decision and we could make up that $2850 in a heartbeat.

And as we bring in the next generation, we haven’t even talked about their thoughts of desktop software. Lol
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)