AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yield loss from hail at late dough/early dent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

waubs88
Posted 8/10/2022 22:24 (#9790781 - in reply to #9790516)
Subject: RE: yield loss from hail at late dough/early dent

NE IL
Whew, I will gladly apologize now that you have clarified that the rant goes to the agent and you were referring to "they" as in the bean counters up top.

I have been on the receiving end of that exact rant by farmers who refuse to leave the air conditioning to look for themselves way more than i care to count. I will just say this. As a farmer myself, I am embarresed how many farmers treat adjusters worst than dogs. Some give them the respect of peers. Glad to hear you seem to be the latter and I read into your post too much.

As far as the leaves go, an agronomist explained it to me like this. The green in a leaf comes from chlorophyll. Chlorophyll comes from photosynthesis. If that leaf is green, albeit tattered, but as long as it's green, photosynthesis is occurring and its contributing to the plant--otherwise it wouldn't be green. Even when it's hanging down, like you said, more sunlight is penetrating the canopy and the leaves are still able to do its thing.
Maybe that's a line of bull, but made sense to me. I have followed up on many final yields of hail claims and have found the chart usually overpays more than it underpays as long as it is staged correctly
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)