AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yetter magnums with the ski?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fingers77
Posted 8/5/2022 20:25 (#9782407 - in reply to #9781658)
Subject: RE: Yetter magnums with the ski?

We ran the skis for years, and like others said, their Achilles heel is backing up and pretzeling things.

Also the UHMW wear plastic on the bottoms wore out very fast. They're expensive from Yetter, so for years we made our own out of a 4x8 sheet of UHMW. I made a template and used a router to cut them.

Our bar is very wide and over the years I dug about every one in, except the center two. I pretzeled several ski arms too to the point I had to replace them.

In strip till they work fine with the skis. I never had any trouble running right on the old row.

To help with the bent bolts that mount the ski arm, I made support brackets so the outside of the bolt is supported and that helped a LOT. It always seemed like a silly design why they had this 10" bolt with no outer support.

Eventually we did the wheel conversion on the cheap. All of the UHMW we had on hand was gone and I was starting to wear the metal of the skis down to nothing. We were tired of them.

I purchased Mudsmiths and adapted the ski arms to be able to take Mudsmiths and ditched the skis all together. I made a jig for cutting and welding the ski arm. I was able to cut the arm and overlap and offset it at the same time. Most rows just needed the arm cut, a piece of IIRC 2.5" box and a small piece of channel iron to offset the arm where I wanted it. I then instead of using washers used the lathe to make some bushings (1-2" or so) to offset the Mudsmiths over towards the blade where they needed to be.

Like others said, you can cover a PILE of acres in a day.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)