AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Solar power????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 6/26/2022 18:52 (#9722495 - in reply to #9722309)
Subject: RE: Solar power????

Faunsdale, AL
I take it the second meter at your house is some distance from your primary meter? If you can reach the fencer and freezer, well pump etc with wiring from your house meter, I would do that.

The remote site fencer is simple, really both fencers are, just go buy a couple solar fencers. They’re turn key, right out of the box, mount it on a post, ground it, hook it up to the fence and turn it on.

You’re going to spend some big money and sacrifice some reliability in my opinion if you go with solar on a well and freezer. Not the way I would go if it were me.

My take on solar for things like well pumps is it’s a modern replacement for a windmill where the power co is going to charge an arm and a leg for running power to the site. If there’s power there already, I doubt you can pay for the solar setup and maintain it over time with the savings from having the meter pulled.

If you want to go into solar like most people do, connected to the grid, that’s an easier thing to figure out. Maybe if you’re in a state that’s solar friendly. Some states require power co to let you connect to grid and have net metering…..you “get” (really save) retail price for any electricity you produce up to the amount you use. The excess power you produce may only be required to be purchased at the prevailing rates the utility pays for their electricity when they buy any. Other states and utility companies can be more or less solar friendly. You need to find out.

Last time I checked Alabama only required the utility to pay the utility purchase cost for any power you generated and did not require them to offer net metering. In addition, you had to meet any requirements the power co imposed to connect to their system. It’s been a long time and laws have probably changed. I was looking at using biogas etc at the time.

Edited by ccjersey 6/26/2022 19:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)