AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Martin Row Cleaners wrapping?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Phil N
Posted 6/2/2009 12:52 (#730292 - in reply to #730242)
Subject: RE: Martin Row Cleaners wrapping?

Hi Brian,

I have seen a number of good examples of the same issues you are outlining this spring. Based upon what I have tried, here are a number of suggestions for you to try.

I am assuming your running floating row cleaners - right? I prefer floaters, especially in the conditions you outlined. I have seen producers this spring who were not running row cleaners at all, who have struggled to get uniform emergence through dense residue cover, so try to make the row cleaners work if possible.

1. Do you have internal scrapers installed? The taller the material (especially with higher moisture taller meterial) the more wrapping can occur. Most Martin row cleaners can be fitted with internal scrapers, especially the new ones. I have been testing new scrapers this spring and they are now available to help reduce or eliminate the wrapping problems.

2. Are side treader wheels installed on the floaters? Side treader wheels provide traction to keep the wheels turning and allow the scrapers to clear material. (If the wheels stop turning, the scrapers don't work)

3. Do you have down-pressure kits or wheel weights? (Both options increase traction as discussed above)

4. Remove No-Till Coulters? No-Till coulters tend to hurt producers more than they help them for a number of reasons. (Row cleaners which wrap around a no-till coulter don't have much clearance). Most new planters can easily penetrate the soil if the residue is parted with a row cleaner.

Phil N

http://www.needhamag.com/

Edited by Phil N 6/2/2009 12:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)