AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Idea discbine 5209 good/bad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Larry in AB
Posted 5/30/2009 14:11 (#727647 - in reply to #726877)
Subject: Re: New Idea discbine 5209 good/bad

Alberta, Canada
I have the red CIH version of the 5209 an early model 1991. Its been an amazing little cutter, its nice to be able to put someone in the tractor and tell them to go "cut"... But like others said that hex shaft gets slop on it where it runs through the gears in the boxes. The replacement gears have a way larger surface area the shaft contacts on so that should improve it drastically. My old cutter has all the original gears in the gear boxes still. I've replaced the shaft now 3 times in 18 years due to getting sloppy. I've never twisted it or anything. I've replaced a U-joint on the driveline and that steady bearing up by the hitch. The main gear box I've never touched just changed the oil in it. THats one of the things I liked about this one, no belts or chains to worry about. Come to think of it I replaced the right top conditioning rollor bearing too.

Only beef I'd have is its time consuming checking and replacing the light grease in the gear boxes. I do it in the middle of winter every year just to be safe. Also my conditioning rolls have wear spots now where the hay goes through always. Sounds like the newer versions are built a bit better but really its been a good machine for us.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)