AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Home Machinery AC
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 5/26/2009 20:31 (#723778)
Subject: Home Machinery AC

Nevada, Iowa
Two related but separate questions.

1. We are trying to get bids for a new compressor for our central air system. Long story but it needs to be moved and we don't want to move the old compressor to a new location. One bidder is really pushing a heat pump type of system. I have to be honest, I don't understand these things at all. Hvac guy is trying to convince us that we'll save a fortune doing this due to lower electric rates from the REC. My gut feeling is that the hoops REC wants us to jump thru to get lower rates will have us frustrated trying to stay in compliance. I realize potential for savings with a heat pump in conjunction with another source like geo thermal but I am not convinced otherwise. Are heat pumps finally becoming popular and are they saving users any money in the long run?

2. We want to cool an addition to the house, it's a workspace for my wife. We had planned all along to use a window unit. Same heating and cooling guy as above is trying to tell us we need a real fancy built in job that centers around a heat pump for around 3 grand. He's in biz to sell stuff but he has raised a question of efficiency our minds. Are window units that terribly inefficient when compared to other systems?

Thanks for any insight on these subjects
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)