AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MX 240 is down again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Farming Illini
Posted 5/25/2009 23:29 (#723019)
Subject: MX 240 is down again

Central Illinois
I am pulling a Case IH 1200 16/31 bulk fill planter with my 99 MX240. As it has been wet all spring here in Central Illinois (Springfield), I was anxious to plant corn. On Saturday, I noticed hydraulic oil leaking on the back of the tractor and dripping down the rear end by the PTO. Not gushing really, but definitly a leak as I added 1.5 gallon of hytran that day. Last night it blew.....hydraulic oil all over the rear end of the tractor. I bearly had enough time to lift the planter out of the ground and get it to the field lane. Trans lamp came on and couldn't fold the planter.........Same thing as last year during bean planting, when the tractor was hauled to dealer, who had to slide out inside wheels and raise cab (poor engineering) to replace a blown steel line with a flexible hydraulic hose. I'm betting it's the same hose. Service manager said that the steel lines under the cab were cracking from vibration over time because they can't flex, so he had a rubber hydraulic hose made to replace it. I would think that a steel reinforce rubber hydraulic hose with fittings pressed on might not handle the pressure that a steel line would, especially for the hydraulic demands of this planter. Any thoughts? Would it be wise to insist that genuine case ih parts (i.e. steel line) be used on this repair rather than let him make a hydraulic hose to fit? And is it customary for dealers to warrant repair work such as this? ( repair made last June and about 200 hours ago) He was hesitant when I asked if this was covered. Thanks for any suggestions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)