AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So maintenance is so important
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TxFarmer
Posted 5/21/2009 10:24 (#719841 - in reply to #719829)
Subject: RE: So maintenance is so important

Panhandle of Texas

My experience goes right along with yours'.  For me, going over the combine seems to be the most "fruitful", as you call it.  Being able to look the combine over, in a no-stress, no hurry up a go mentality is the best thing we can do.  We also do this to the tractors & the planter, & the drills but it seems to help most on the combine....since the combine has the most moving parts and wins the prize for "most likely to break".

It ought to be mentioned that my combine is "old" judging by most of y'alls standard.  My combine is a JD 9600.  Yes, we have the occassional belt break, or an alternator go out, or some little gremlin like that.....but it has been a long time since we have had a major break down during harvest.  I consider our off-season work to be very beneficial.

Since farming is not the primary "bill payer" around here, I ought to also mention that changing the oil in our (18) windmills is also very beneficial.  I know a lot of ranches that don't do this (instead, they ~sometimes~ get it done when they have the mill re-leathered), but we change the oil in our mills every year.  I also mix-in a little STP into the oil.  I think it makes the oil cling better, especially to oiling ring at the top of the [aer]motor.

Edited by TxFarmer 5/21/2009 10:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)