AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Zero turn mowers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 5/14/2009 23:23 (#713889 - in reply to #713666)
Subject: front deck vs. mid mount

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
The first question you need to ask is if you want/need front deck or not.

The dealer I bought my mower from said that once you have a front deck, you likely will stay with one. That was after we demo'd a 757 Deere mid mount as a possible replacement for our 720K front deck Grasshopper.

The 757 was an impressive cutting machine but very rough riding... which is very common with mid-mounts. That's why the Ferris with suspension attracts attention.

We ended up going with another Grasshopper... this time going with a 727K to pull the new style Duracut(?) tilt-up deck. Our dealer was also right that the high velocity air decks take more power as I doubt the 720K would have pulled it. Our local dealer has Deere, Grasshopper, and used to carry Scag.

It is clear that the new deck has many of the issues fixed that we had with our prior 61" Grasshopper deck which had over 15 seasons. I have taken it into wet quack grass about 10-12" tall and it will take it w/o constipating and puking out huge clumps. It does a darn good job.

The wife likes our Grasshopper and didn't like the ride of the 757 Deere.

If I didn't have a front deck Grasshopper, I would look strongly at the front deck Exmark as I too have heard good things about them.

Best of luck,
Tom

Edited by notilltom 5/14/2009 23:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)