AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for you top notch hired hands, and those who employ them.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

95h
Posted 5/11/2009 09:42 (#710017 - in reply to #709647)
Subject: Re: Excellent point braunt01

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

"I mean no offense to anyone by this, but I have noticed that many farmers are not the best with employee relations."

Very True.   Farmer's  (any owner/operators) who talk amoung themselves assume they are effective communicators. eh,, not so....

I will bet the "stimulous package" there is not one Owner on here with a Policy-Procedures manual. A manual states How to complete a task and the steps involved.  A policy-procedures manual also can specifiy how equipment is to be operated in given conditions, etc.etc.etc.  Everything can be spelled out for an employee to read and heed and use for reference. INCLUDING things that "will" get an employee fired, or reprimanded depending on severity of the offense.

The problem of course is the Farmer would also have to know the Policy and Procedures manual well enough to know when the employee is or isn't following the written rules of daily operation.

Ok,, how much money have I won ?? 

NOBODY has a Written Policy and Procedures Manual. do YOU ?!?!?!

You don't even have a written "mission statement" do you ??  A Mission Statement is simply a global statement of why-how the Farm exists and is operated. A Policy Manual would include "why thing's are done the way they are".  Procedures Manual's are more specific tast orientated and the supporting steps to accomplish the task.

Working closely together breeds "friends" not "employeer's and employee's".  If farmers allow the working relationship to morph into "friends" that is solely the Farmers fault.

The hardest thing for Farmer's to remember is the employee does NOT have any "skin in the game".  They work for you because you pay them and working conditions are favorable to them. No more, no less. 

If Farmers want "proformance based employees"  you better set conditions (again in writing and live up to the written rules)  that allow the employee TO have "skin in the game".  IF weather permitting planting and/or harvesting is completed by a certain date, and/or yeilds are above a certain point, the Employee receives a bonus based on his input into making the harvest go quicker or causes yeilds to be higher.  Or, it could be set up to state if the employee stays with you the entire season,, they receive a bonus.

If you want "TOP PERMORMANCE" You Have to provide the incentive and mean's to accomplish it !

Many Farmers are notoriously poor communicators when it comes to leadership. And, many Farmers are not good leaders/bosses.  They are all great businessmen, and know exactly what to do and what not to do in regards to the Farm Operation. 

The real problem is the ability to take all that skill and knowledge and effectively communicate those abilities into actions for an employee or employees to follow.

Come on,, be honest,, how many of you have taken "leadership" courses in how to lead and motivate employees ?? 

Ok,, now all your bet's can be sent through,, opps,, first I've gotta set up a PayPal account huh?,,

BTW.. In another lifetime,, in a world far far away..   I did work in a Law Enforcement agency. We had a Policy and Procedures manual.  Each notebook was approximately 5-6 inches thick full of rules pertaining to every conceivable aspect of the "operation" and how to respond in any given situation.  The P & P manuals were actually issued to me, I had to maintain them, read them, and follow them for any given task or situation.  IF I did not follow the P & P manual's in any given situation, I had to have some pretty good reason's (not excuses) based on my knowledge and experience why I did not follow the P & P Manual. Yes, I actually knew both manuals "almost" by heart, and I did have to sign a statement that I had received both Manual's and would read and follow the P & P manuals.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)