AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for you top notch hired hands, and those who employ them.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Grasseed
Posted 5/10/2009 22:25 (#709585)
Subject: Question for you top notch hired hands, and those who employ them.

Suver, Oregon
Is good help born or built?

I have a guy that has worked for me for a little over seven years. He has many skills, and shows up for work every day, and usually on time. However he has shown little interest in learning more about any aspect of our opperation. I'm fairly sure that when he's done for the day he gives the farm little thought until he shows up the next morning. And lately it seems that there's not much thinking going on while he's here. For instance I asked him to get some glyphos out of the shed the other day, and he did not know what glyphos was. (He's worked on farms for 13+ years!!!)

Last Fall I handed him Phil Needham's book on wheat production. He looked at the cover, and set it on the table. He does most of the spreading of dry fertilizer here, but he could'nt tell me what 10-20-20 meant.

He has had some personal issues that have effected his attitude lately, I have done my best to cope with that but lately I've been getting fed up. We had a long talk on Friday, and I realized that we need to do that more often. I have a bad habit of letting things slide, so as not to cause conflict. I need to do a better job of comunicating my expectations, and disapointments.

I like the guy, I just need to know is it's possible to motivate and train him into a the kind of employee that i'm going to need in the future.

Thanks, Garth

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)