AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need advice on scrapers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Strange
Posted 5/10/2009 16:22 (#709094)
Subject: Need advice on scrapers

I'm thinking about buying a scraper to pull with our 9420.  The main "catalyst" for buying one is that we need to build an irrigation lake this summer that will require moving several yards of dirt.  Based on past experience with renting a scraper, I'm sure we could make good use of it to fill ditches, etc. a few times a year.  Based on that same experience, I'm not interested in renting something.  I think we could get enough use out of it to justify owning one.  I'm thinking something like an 18 yd. carry all machine.  We already have a D6H dozer with laserplane, so don't really need it to build terraces or things like that.  So, here is what I'm wondering:  I originally thought a dolly wheel scraper made more sense because it would be faster/easier to hook up and go for small projects.  However, I realize that they create no weight transfer to the tractor and I could see that being a problem with a 12' cut in our clay soil.  On the other side of the coin, I'm concerned about too much weight transfer on an ag (not scraper special) tractor with a mounted unit.  I'm not talking about going into the construction business full-time - probably 3 weeks or so for the lake project then occasional day projects.  Assuming myself or another very competent operator running it, do you think a mounted scraper would be hard on our tractor?  Anybody have any personal success or horror stories?

TIA,

Charlie

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)