AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dust control on gravel road
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

oldbones
Posted 8/11/2022 12:57 (#9791665 - in reply to #9790939)
Subject: RE: Dust control on gravel road

Floyd County, Iowa
Kochia - 8/11/2022 03:41

Pave it.

The chloride's don't work.

They rust everything and the roads will wash board and then you're screwed because you can't do anything with them. The county used to do that on everything until they realized it was hard on their graders and trucks...and county commissioners vehicles.

Have to disagree there. The magnesium chloride/lignin blend the we have put down works well for dust. Granted, if it's been a while since a rain, there is some dust, but not like it was untreated. A little rain re-activates it.

It costs us a bit less than $500 a year for 2 applications. If you can point me to someone that will pave our road for less than dust control I'm all in. Even if it was a 5 year payback, I don't think there's any place that will come in and pave the 400 feet in front of our place for $2500.

The washboard effect is NOT from dust control methods. It's caused by drivers being too aggressive on the throttle and brakes. That's why it shows up at certain driveways and intersections where they stop/turn at. FWIW, NONE of the dust control customers around here have washboarding in front of their places.
We have had people slam on the brakes when coming up to the treated area, and then as soon as they're through it, they hammer down again. THIS could cause washboards if they did it very long, but they only do it when the product has just been applied and they don't want it "splashed" on their vehicle. Next day they're back to NASCAR habits.

Maybe just a "here" thing???
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)