AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time for a semi?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 11/6/2006 00:50 (#58434 - in reply to #58344)
Subject: Re: Time for a semi?

Grand Rapids, MI
Let me go completly in another direction for you...something to think about.

First of all let me say that this is not a complete analyzed solution for you, I have no idea what size combine you are running, how many bushels it can produce per hour, how large an average size farm is, etc. Realize also that I typically work with farms who expect to harvest 2,000 to 5,000 bushels per hour, so I am going a bit out on a limb here. But anyway these are some of the thoughts I had for smaller farms.

Have you ever considered investing more into your grain storage? Is the 5-10 miles you refer to the distance to this town where 2/3 of your grain goes? If so how far from your fields to a central drying/storage location. If you had an uupgraded facility would you be able to handle all the grain just as efficiently without getting a truck? While grain handling/drying/storage equipment may be quite a lot more expensive than truck/trailer, its ownership cost a LOT less per dollar invested. In fact, for the ownership costs of a truck/trailer you could probably spend $100,000 on a grain facility. I would also guess that selling your grain to the processor you mention nets you more than the customer in the town you refer to.

I have often thought that if I had a farm that was not too spread out, I would have one combine, two tractors running grain carts, and a good sized recieving pit. Your carts could then run to the combine and pick up on the go. When full, they could run to the on-farm facility and dump into a good sized pit that took much of the load. They could then let the pit run to empty and get back to the combine. This type of system could even be done with old carts with poor augers, as they would normally just be dumping out the bottom slide.

Like I say this is a little out the ordinary senario in which I work, but thought I would throw it out there. I invite others comments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)