AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let's talk somemore about foliar feeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 9/30/2008 13:23 (#472229 - in reply to #471769)
Subject: Re: Let's talk somemore about foliar feeding

Little River, TX
I have some concerns about the Monty's products. I must assume the light dose of fertilizer is to stimulate the grass not supply it with the nutrients needed.

I can visualize that working with my deep clay soils, but I question the reserve of P, K, et. al. nutrients in deep sandy soils.

Bermudagrass hay, even relatively low CP will have to have 35 or so lbs of Nitrogen per ton of hay. Quality hay will need between 40 & 50 lbs of nitrogen/T of hay.
Add to this bermudagrass hay uses better than 10 lbs of Phosphate. For quality and quantify 14 lbs of phosphate is closer to the crops requirements.

Bermudagrass uses roughly a 1/1 ratio of Potash to nitrogen. In much of the East Texas sandy lands potash soon runs out unless fertilized with 300 lbs of potash each year. Some fertilize each spring as well as each fall seasons

Potash is essential for economical moisture utilization. With good potash levels we should be able to realize a ton of hay for each 4 maybe 5 inches of ran. With the more common fertilizer programs a ton of hay per 12 inches of rain is not uncommon.

From where my fertility is right now, I can expect 4 seasons of hay production without a dimes worth of fertilizer applied. This includes the level of nitrogen for the bermudagrass sod.

Here, if I were to adapt the light and easy approach of Monty's fertilize it would not show any adverse effects until the fifth season.

If the Monty's program works for you it should work for anyone. If it does not work you should be aware of the short fall after a season or two.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)