AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Triple Vs Conventional.........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

haymaker
Posted 9/28/2008 23:00 (#471147 - in reply to #470912)
Subject: No straight conventional?

NE Colorado
yep, my math was wrong, a bag plants more than one acre. I get almost 2.4 acres. Still, $300 per bag is outrageous. Monsanto's recent ads about increasing planting rates got me to thinking "pretty soon we'll be planting just one acre per bag."

So there is no straight conventional in the family you mention? It would be a very profitable strategy for Monsanto and Pioneer to quit improving non GMO lines, anything they can sell the GMO for over the very low marginal cost of breeding in the GMO traits is easy money for them.

It is also a good strategy for Monsanto, Pioneer, and Dow to collude on combining their GMO traits into what they call the Smartstax. What is it, two versions of Corn borer Bt, two versions of Rootworm Bt, as well as Roundup and Liberty resistant transgenes all in the same corn plant?

Can't Dow triple stack and Monsanto triple stack compete with each other on their own? They have to combine them, why? They don't do on their own all the things they are advertised to do? They don't kill enough of the bugs?

But there is one really important thing that gets killed with the combination: competition.

Sharing a monopoly has to be more profitable than cutting each other's throat over price.

Edited by haymaker 9/28/2008 23:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)