AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Triple Vs Conventional.........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

haymaker
Posted 9/28/2008 10:40 (#470751 - in reply to #470523)
Subject: Any independent research?

NE Colorado
Is there any independent research that shows what the yields of GMO hybrids are as compared to their non-GMO counterparts when grown in the absence of the pests the GMOs are supposed to resist?

I do not grow GMO corn and I do not want to do business with Monsanto, who wants to be the "Seedlord to the World." Where I farm, rootworms in first year corn are not a problem and corn borers aren't much of a threat either. And there are a lot of good corn herbicides out there, besides, I do not want volunteer RR corn because I use glyphosate to clean up my fields and don't want to be adding yet another chemical to take out the volunteer RR corn.

However, it sounds like GMO corn might be yielding higher even when there are no pests? Is there a yield boost, rather than a yield drag, with GMO corn, even when rootworms, corn borers, earworms, etc., and weeds are absent?

I certainly hope seed corn companies have not given up on improving their conventional hybrids and are improving only their GMO ones in an effort to force more traits upon farmers. They have a lot of incentive to do so because the marginal cost of inserting the GMO traits is very, very low.

Brag all you want about triple stack, but when corn goes back down to $3 per bushel and it will especially if everyone grows 240 bushel corn, remember it will take you 100 or more of those bushels just to pay your seedlord with the coming $300 to $500 per bag seed prices.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)