AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weed control in new alfalfa..........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Chip
Posted 2/9/2008 09:40 (#305275 - in reply to #305238)
Subject: RE: Chip..........

Curt,

I figured you were non-irrigated,that is why the : ) :)'s ...... irrigation does definitely give a bit of an advantage, which I enjoy.

Any existing weeds at seeding time are quite difficult to control. By the time the alfalfa is big enough to take the chemical, the weeds are way ahead. I've used paraquat befoer seeding, but normally use tillage to keep the weeds back.....but if I don't kill all existing weeds they are a REAL problem.

RE: Question about Pursuit. I know the 'claim' is that Pursuit has residual control. Not in my experience. I think it will have residual damage on something like potatoes, though......but I haven't seen Pursuit have any residual for any weeds later in the season..........maybe for mustard, but not for anything else. Pursuit and DB work on different weeds. Pursuit is great on mustards, really weak on lambsquarter, nothing special on pigweed or kochia (unless they are pretty small). DB will knock the crap out of pigweed, and will do decent on lambsquarter. Really need both together to get decent broadleaf control.

I don't like to go over standard rate on pursuit, as it holds back the hay growth. I'll normally go low-standard rate on pursuit (dry 1.0? oz to 1.44 oz, liquid 4 oz(?)) and 1 quart DB (if DB is 2 lb stuff). DB only has half AI as regular 2-4,D. Sorry, I don't have a 'typical' rate I apply...... I look at the field, take into account past few days growing conditions, how wet/dry the field is, what weeds are present, then adjust.

Looking at your field, just from what I can see, I'd probably leave the Pursuit at standard rate, then go max rate on the DB (2 quarts??). If you have grasses you want to get, the CO/DB combo will speckle the crap out of your leaves, but the alfalfa will grow through it. Problem with using more DB is that the label and some 'experts' claim damage if irrigated/significant rainfall within a certain amount of time. However, I irrigate w/in 24 hrs and have never seen the damage......but I worked down to that carefully, and my soils/conditions may be different and may be what saves me........ I really don't know, I jsut know I don't see the damage the label claims can happen.

Even a tiny amout of DB will make the Pursuit work better, I'd never use Pursuit alone again. I'd rather go low rate on both together (cheaper) than highest rate on either alone.

When dormant, I prefer Velpar over Sencor, but Sencor will do the job if handled carefully and the alfalfa is truely dormant--but Sencor has been slightly cheaper for me. If using Sencor, it can be done safely if the mix is agitated well.......don't even let it sit in the booms, as it will settle out (right in the boom) and you may see some damage especially in lighter soils.......move the Sencor mix though your booms if it has set for even a few minutes it will start settling out.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)