AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drought tolorant alfalfa.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hesston8465a
Posted 2/22/2008 22:41 (#317106)
Subject: Drought tolorant alfalfa.

Parsons Kansas
I was looking over the last edition of the High Plains Journal and they are trying to develope a drought tolerent corn. I got to thinking about drought tolorent alfalfa. I realize the importance of alfalfa does not rank up to corn or soybeans in the seed dealers eyes though. With that being said this is my question:
In your own experience is there a better brand/number of alfalfa that does better when it does turn off a little too dry? Here in southeast Kansas everything is fine up until mid July or so on moisture. Then it turns off dry and we really don't get any real rain until say September. The last two years this has costed me one cutting each year maybe a little more. We really have no good means of irrigation here so that isn't a good option. I was wondering if there was a a particular brand of alfalfa that may do better when it does turn off a little too dry. When picking an alfalfa variety this information isn't really talked about much and I'm sure it would be hard to measure and test for.
Just thinking out loud and trying to pick out another variety for some more alfalfa that I want to plant. Or it could be it's cold here with about an inch of ice on the ground and I'm having "Baling Withdrawel" LOL!!
Anyways any info would be great! Thanks Darren
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)