AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First Rotation of the Year and 3rd Year interseeded clover (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/11/2010 00:45 (#1193767)
Subject: First Rotation of the Year and 3rd Year interseeded clover (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

For the past two weeks or so, I have had my cows, yearling heifers and this spring's calves on odd patches of grass. They are not really interested in hay any more and I have been waiting to finish calving and for the grass in my starting paddock to get to about 10" tall.

This paddock had little naturally occurring clover so I no-till drilled a persistent, innoculated red clover into the existing sod 3 years ago.  The clover has done very well and is ahead of the grass this spring. Maybe has something to do with the very cool spring weather. So I have been stalling putting the cows on it until the grass in the mix is 10" but the clover not over-mature.

My last cow to calve finally had her calf this past week while I was in SD and points west. A nice bull calf which I needed.  41 days from first to last calf this year. Was 21 days last year but I shared my bull with a neighbor last summer which evidently spread the calving season.

Here are some pictures from today. You can see the clover and the grass-only spot where I missed with the drill. The clover keeps coming back for summer grazing as long as I dont let it get too mature.

Even some of this spring's calves seem to like grazing the fresh paddock and clover. They should really start to grow with the calves and their cows on good rotated pastures like this.

Good persistent red clover seed is expensive but it looks like this stuff was worth it. Grass in the stand looks good but slower getting started. It was supposed to rain from about noon on but kept going around.

Here are the pictures.  Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/11/2010 00:48

(IMG_0573_first_rotation_paddock_of_the_season_3rd_yr_clover_051010.JPG)

(IMG_0575_first_rotation_paddock_of_the_season_3rd_yr_clover_051010.jpg)

(IMG_0578_some_spring_calves_in_first_rotation_interseeded_clover_note_back_wire_051010.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0573_first_rotation_paddock_of_the_season_3rd_yr_clover_051010.JPG (80KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0575_first_rotation_paddock_of_the_season_3rd_yr_clover_051010.jpg (81KB - 125 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0578_some_spring_calves_in_first_rotation_interseeded_clover_note_back_wire_051010.JPG (80KB - 131 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)