AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drying wheat (again)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

J SWIL
Posted 6/18/2022 19:22 (#9711424)
Subject: Drying wheat (again)

IL near StL
I know there have been several posts on here over the years about drying wheat and I've looked through quite a few of them already. We are cutting 21% wheat and running it through a GSI 1218 continuous flow dryer. Running top burner at 160 degrees and the bottom burner at 140. Started with the grain temp set at 95 and could see after it went through the auto start that I was no where close so I bumped the grain temp up to 105 and it's kicking the wheat out around 16. I've bumped the grain temp setting up to 110 but don't really want to go higher than that since I've read (on here and other places) that you shouldn't go higher than that or it starts to affect quality. The dryer hasn't ran long enough at the 110 setting for me to get a good leveled out moisture sample yet but I kind of think that we're still going to be on the wet side. My goal is to get a moisture coming off the dryer of 14 and take the rest out with fans in the bin. If it matters, I'm planning on taking this wheat to a local mill. If we were talking about corn I'd just bump the grain temp til I got the moisture where I wanted it. Maybe it's OK to take it a little higher, maybe not. I dried some wheat last year and got along really well but it was a little drier and I didn't keep any notes on where I had things set so does anybody have experience that they can share? TIA

Edited by J SWIL 6/18/2022 19:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)