AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At last, my 'New to Me' planter hits the field
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 5/5/2009 23:25 (#704386)
Subject: At last, my 'New to Me' planter hits the field

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
Way back in November of 2006 I decided that I was going to buy a used White 6180 12 row 30” planter from the John Deere dealer in Pender Nebraska in November of 2006. I wanted to get a newer White planter before I retired, but probably a 12 row pull vertical fold. And a newer planter was a ways down the list of things I wanted, maybe a couple years away.

But the White planter at Pender Implement had Rawson Hydraulic Drive which I really wanted. They have had this planter for a while, they made me a pretty decent deal.

Thinking it would be easier to haul, I made two trips to Pender to narrow the thing up. Their truck driver told me that it would be easy to haul.

March 7 of 2007 my new to me 4630 meet the Pender truck at the Van-Wall loading dock in Perry Iowa.
My new fancy planter was home!

By mid April it was getting time to plant and there were still several things I wanted to do to the 6180. So I decided to plant my 2007 corn with the 12 row White 5100 planter that I still had.

But it was ready to go for 2008. But then I hurt my hand. Had to rent the land out. So my dream planter sit in the shed while the boy used a 1760 ’air seeder’ to plant my 2008 crop.

For 2009 the boys are still renting mine, they still have not purchased a Kinze or White planter, or a Lexion combine. But I will give them a little more time.
But I am farming my sisters farm.

Today my planter went to the field.

Sure felt good!!!!!!!!!

The Rawson Drive is quite the thing. Pretty darn smart.
Before my first use of the planter today, I had to move the planter to put some seed in. So I decided to pull it around just a bit. While driving around with the fan not running I turned the Rawson on. Not one sign of life! And I was pretty sure I had figured that thing out.

You can run a Rawson planter standing still, to oil chains, check operation, etc. Done it many times. 1-Turn it on. 2- press Mode. 3- press Set

But today, turn it on, press Mode - ‘Check Settings’. several tries - Check Settings’ And not one chain link moved.

You can do a Five Motor Rev test. Using all your sprocket sizes and the number of seeds in one meter rev, you have figured how many seeds are planted each time the hydraulic motor makes five turn.
Mine is 24.7 [25] You need this for calibration.
But same story - Check Settings’

There is a distance run. Mind is set for 174’ = 1/100 of an acre.
Same story - Check Settings’

OM time. I had changed the population. But instead of 31,000, there was an extra zero - 310,000 seeds per acre.
The thing knows my intended driving speed, 5.2 mph. And that it cannot do it.

I could have wasted a lot of seed. Probably would not have believed the monitor.

(2009_05050019.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2009_05050019.JPG (113KB - 58 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)