AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hey, Jim@Dawn... Windstar woes...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

frmrzdotr
Posted 4/29/2009 21:24 (#697580)
Subject: Hey, Jim@Dawn... Windstar woes...

Sorry about the busted axle. I am so glad nobody was hurt... it certainly could've been worse, no doubt.

My 2000 Windstar was OK in some ways, but a piece of crap in other ways. Here's my list...

at 35K miles, the tie rod ends [not serviceable] got loose. Ford refused the claim, even though the warranty was a 36K warranty.

at about 55K miles, the baffle in the air intake manifold [plastic] eroded and rattled with every decel. I let the engine ingest it because the repairs were $$$$$.

Oxy sensors - lost count. 3 or 4 I suppose.

The front cup holders couldn't hold anything worth a darn after about 40K. very annoying!!!

The undercarriage of the power front seats was all rusty at 24K. Some factory monkey forgot to paint them. No help from Ford. The dealer tore it all apart, painted the parts, and reassembled it all for $150. A bargain.

Rear hatch lock actuator - sounded like a stuck weld electrode - I installed a new one myself.

Rear hatch gas shocks - shot at 55K or so. Replaced them myself.

Front brakes shot at 54K. $400 Midas job, then redone for free at 80K. I RARELY ever need brake work on ANY of my vehicles. I did the rear brakes myself. This was a 5000+ pound vehicle. IMO, the brakes were underdesigned.

Roof rack rails - the black powdercoat flaked off at 30K. Ford refused to pay. This van was always kept CLEAN and GARAGED... WHY??

Power sliding doors were psycho starting at about 50K, never did work reliably after that. Ford's solution was to rub down all the door seals with Armor All because the motor/clutch unit for the doors costs $1600. No kidding they actually put out a TSB on that one.

4-5 windshields [lost count] - local sealcoat contractor did a poor job on the interstate, Not Ford's fault. We ALL went through lots of glass.

Rear shocks - I can forgive it for that. We got about 50K out of them. Replaced them myself.

Air Filters - thank God they lasted a long time because the cannister is a B**CH to reassemble. Replaced every six months. I think a big V-8 could breathe through that monster.

Headlights/taillights - normal I guess... lost one of each in 80K miles.

Serpentine belt - went 60K miles - good enough.

The Windstar rode wonderfully, had lots of power [3.8L engine], and was so-so on gas... high teens on average. All leather, great sound, quiet and stable ride. Not too stylish, but that's vans for you.
All the stupid cheesy little repairs that Ford refused to acknowledge just pissed me off one too many times. So It's gone.
LOVE my Durango.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)