AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for jim at dawn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/27/2009 02:13 (#694309 - in reply to #694213)
Subject: closing wheels for tilled ground

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Pat,

To answer your question, no we do not make a rubber tire closing wheel similar to the OEM but with our Dawn hubs. Thank you for the kind words about our bearing setup.

I assume in your stale seedbed you are using two Curvetines per row?

In your worked ground, however, I would continue to use the Curvetines. It will probably help a lot to change your JD 1720 planter's closing wheel spring to the new JD "Half-rate" spring (JD part number A61582) for worked ground. We also sell a similar, lighter than standard spring for the JD 7200 and later closing wheel bracket (Dawn part number 102151)

The standard JD closing wheel spring is just too heavy for worked ground and two Curvetines. Some folks just leave the spring lever in the slot (=no spring pressure) in worked ground. I think it is preferred to have some tension from the lighter spring.

Please try changing the spring on a couple rows. I for one do not really like the idea of changing closing wheels for different tillage systems. I have seen the Curvetine used in some very loose worked soil with the lighter spring. I'd suggest you give it a try.

Another option is to use one Curvetine + one standard Rubber, possibly withthe lighter spring. Running with less spring pressure may also help the life of the OEM standard rubber tire assembly's bearings. With one Curvetine you should be able to do a decent job of closing in stale seedbed and conventional. I do like the job of two Curvetines with the lighter spring in about any tillage.

Jim at Dawn

PS If you REALLY want some standard 1" wide by 12" OD rubber tires with Dawn tapered roller bearing hubs, I think we could put some together from some inventory left over from our Paradigm planter project of years ago. We used a steel wheel disc to hold the rubber outer ring. No plastic.

Before going that route though please try the Curvetines and the lighter Deere or Dawn spring. Or run one Curvetine plus one of our "Paradigm" rubber closing wheels on everything.

Edited by Jim 4/27/2009 02:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)