AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Snow Blower ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 11/17/2006 07:12 (#62618 - in reply to #62600)
Subject: Re: Snow Blower ???

Aberdeen MS
One can get away with much smaller HP requirements than thought of really.

Quite few years ago and old timer told me to cut the RPM's in half of what was full speed. 540 down to 250 or so .... etc. Power requirements go up exponentially as RPM's increase. One doesn't gain extra output from the blower above the half way point. Granted there are times, but after blowing snow for over 20 years with one of those things.... personal experience has concluded with the validity of that statement. The amount of shear bolt usage has greatly diminished after slowing down blower speed as well.

I have an IH 80 double auger 80" cut. Mounted on a 930 Case CK. The reverse creeper gear sure would be a nice feature, and if a choice can be had on power units... definately use the creeper. But with that said, I have yet to replace the clutch on the 930, and in '97, I contracted with the county and took care of widening 15 miles of county road after the V plow opened a single pass. The plows couldn't push any more snow off the road and blowers were needed to go up and over.

I have "drift busters" on mine. 4 foot pieces of cutting edge bolted on the sides to slice drifts and have it fall in front of the augers too minimize "undercutting". They work great... until one starts undercutting with them on. But in that case, one is only slicing about 6" of drift and still loading up the blower past full capacity.

Loftness is probably one of the best units that could be bought for durability as Tom mentioned. I'm not sure is Schweiss has been bought out or not, but another brand that is/was built to take abuse.

Main item to pay attention to is the gearbox. On anything over a 48" cut, go for a 200 HP gearbox to stand up. We all claim to "take it easy", but everyone will overload a blower way more than they think they do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)