AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much down pressure on a JD CCS with Pneumatic dp?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Millhouse
Posted 4/19/2009 20:46 (#686107)
Subject: How much down pressure on a JD CCS with Pneumatic dp?

South-central Nebraska
I know this isn't a real logical question with the variances of planting conditions but I'm paranoid that I should be adjusting my down pressure more. My old planter had 4 settings to choose from, easy. I've got medium texture loam, some clay loam soils. They are very mellow this year but have a lot of unevenness from the NH3 applied last fall and shallow wheel tacks from harvest (no-till). The berms never melted down due to lack of moisture and are just like potting soil next to colder, firmer soils where trash has accumulated. I'm running between 150-180 pounds according to the pressure gauge when the planter is down planting. The pressure lessens almost 25 lbs when up in the air. The higher setting is when the ground is most uneven or lots of trash to contend with. The bean stubble didn't really break down very well this winter either with low moisture on it.

My old planter was mostly set on the 125 lb setting but also had 50 to 150 lbs of seed in each 3 bu box. This pneumatic system makes a guy want to mess with pressure more than you should!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)