AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ih 1440 and grass seed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 4/19/2009 18:53 (#685943 - in reply to #685866)
Subject: Re: Ih 1440 and grass seed

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
Is it swathed or not? A 1440 with a standard rotor will try to wrap with standing grass seed, Im assuming this is ryegrass or fescue, if not, tell me. In standing seed, run the rotor as fast as you can, and tight, usually a little tighter than wheat settings and expect wrapping. With swathed seed, you can run the rotor slower, around 800, and open the concaves as open as you feel confortable. Dry swathed seed usually falls out as soon as it hits the elephant ears If its ryegrass or fescue you will probably need to block off most of the air into the fan, you want just enough air to keep the sieves from loading up, you will know that if you have a lot of seed and chaff that looks like piles coming off the sieve. If you are cleaning over 85 percent pure, you have too much air and you are blowing some good seed out the back, seive openess should depend on the yeild of the seed, In really good seed I have had my chaffer and sieve at corn settings, and with light seed I have run them completely shut. It just depends on how many stems are ending up in the clean grain. Ive never ran a axial flow myself so dont take any of this to heart but Ive helped set a worn out 1440 with no rasp bar left and a 1660 with a afx rotor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)