AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

let me try and offer something on this (should be on the Guardasil post)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

smithgrow
Posted 4/15/2009 21:32 (#681756)
Subject: let me try and offer something on this (should be on the Guardasil post)

My wife was walking by when I was reading this so I got her to respond (She's a Doc)

This may not offer you anything more than what you already know from Merck's information, but...
Cervical cancer is virtually always caused from a virus called HPV (human papillomavirus) that is sexually transmitted. Now, there are 100s of strains of this virus but there are 2 strains in particular that cause 60-70% of cervical cancer and there are another 2 strains that cause about 90% of genital warts. Gardasil is a vaccine (actually, a 3 shot series) that protects against those 4 strains but not against the other 100s of strains. The key is that you have to be vaccinated before becoming infected with HPV or the vaccine does you no good because it doesn't eradicate the virus that is already present. So, the thought is, if you can vaccinate girls when they are younger - either before they have become sexually active or before they have had many partners - you have a better chance of preventing them from becoming infected with these 4 more virulent strains. If you are vaccinated, though, because you are not protected against all strains of HPV, you still have a chance of getting cervical cancer and/or genital warts. Otherwise, the only other possible problem with the vaccine is a local injection site reaction. The main concern/controversy with the vaccine is morally - are you (speaking generally) comfortable vaccinating your preteen girl against an STD or do you think that is giving her license in her mind to then become sexually active. And, again, you must understand, this vaccine is not fail-safe - you are only reducing your risk of cervical cancer, not eliminating it.

Edited by smithgrow 4/15/2009 21:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)