AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tracks or MFWD
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Cliff SEIA
Posted 4/14/2009 22:14 (#680649 - in reply to #680163)
Subject: RE: Tracks or MFWD

What will you be using it for?  We have a Cat 55 wide gauge and an MX-240, 90% of the time I'll take the Cat over the mfd.  Most of the time road travel with the tracks isn't bad but about 5% of the time it can be pretty bad.  On a per hour basis tracks will cost slightly more to replace than tires but it looks to me like it's going to be within a dollar an hour of each other.  Late last fall we were doing some fall tillage after it snowed a little bit and for a few day's we had to park the Cat, it would spin out on top of the snow but after it thawed out and got muddy on top there were a couple of days when the Cat performed very well and the mfd had to be parked until it froze back up.  I don't think I would want to have all track tractors but at the same time after having one I wouldn't want to not have at least one around.  Last spring when it was really wet here we were able to get a lot of corn planted and sprayed because we could be out in the field a day sooner with a track tractor than we could have with tires, I know people will say that we shouldn't be out in the field when it's that wet and we should just wait for it to dry but in this part of the world that isn't an option and the yield monitor proved that pushing the envelope was the right thing to do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)