AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody store grain in bags
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ontrack
Posted 4/11/2009 13:01 (#676918 - in reply to #676829)
Subject: RE: Anybody store grain in bags

Southwest Minnesota
I've stored about 300000 bushels of corn in bags from last harvest. Finished hauling 90 percent of it out 2 days ago. So I feel I have a good idea of what is good and bad.My moisture ranged from 21 to 16. Have had zero issues with the quality of the corn. CONS--Can't just put a bag anywhere you want, it needs to be in a well drained area or where water won't pond.Cleaning up at the end of a bag can take some time and effort, probably takes about 15 minutes with two guys at the longest.PROS--Unlimited storage For me harvest is so much faster and efficient. I need less people and less equipment. I have two semis and without the bagger I would need five to be just as efficient. The biggest money maker is the basis savings from being able to haul your grain after harvest.You save the cost of not having to haul your grain from the field to your bins. The cost of the bag is around 5 cents per bushel, so that is very economical.A bagger isn't for everyone but it has improved my farm greatly.If you had a large sum of money you wanted to invest in some bins and semis then a bagger isn't for you. To me there are many other pros but every operation is different.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)