AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

aftermarket unloader elbow problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cowhater
Posted 4/10/2009 23:39 (#676534)
Subject: aftermarket unloader elbow problems

DE
Installing a new elbow that I got from A & I on 2166. First thing, when I put gearbox in elbow I had to put two 3/8" washers on each side on the top bolts and one thin shim on each bottom bolt. Thought well guess it's better than too tight and not fitting at all. But here is the main problem. After installing elbow onto vertical tube and then attaching horizontal auger I found that I could not slide the vertical auger back and forth to make sure it wasn't bound. Everything turned by hand ok but I didn't like it being that tight on the shaft since the splines on the auger are worn pretty good the auger should slide easily back and forth ever so slightly. After removing the horizontal auger I found that the gear box shaft is not centered in elbow tube. It is 3/16" of an inch too far to the left. I noticed when I was removing horizontal auger and got auger sliding back and forth the flanges on left of auger tube were touching but flanges on right had a gap. When I retighten the bolts, the auger would bind again. So now I'm going to remove the right gearbox bolts and take my die grinder and bore the holes out to twist gearbox back to center shaft in outlet of elbow. Mess of damn work and aggravation to save $350 over OEM. How much do you want to bet it is made in China?

They ought to have some sort of spider joints on that gearbox to allow for some misalignment and to reduce stress on the gearbox itself. One of the arms was broke and had to have it welded back on.

Edited by cowhater 4/11/2009 00:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)