AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A note from the USDA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

V_Key
Posted 4/8/2009 13:31 (#673568)
Subject: A note from the USDA

Gilroy 35 Miles Over the Hill From Santa Cruz
… Now I find myself in the position of asking you to forward something along to your e-mail list recipients.

As a bit of a quick introduction, I am a retired professor and administrator at the University of Nevada, Reno (I am still doing all of my teaching that is mostly done in our College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources). After I received your message regarding the FASS May 4 Symposia it occurred to me that you might be able to assist me with another project that I'm currently involved in.

In short, …I agreed to be the Judging Co-Chair for the 2009 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) to be held here in Reno, NV during the period 10-16 May 2009. The Intel ISEF is nothing like what you may remember about the local elementary school's science fair. The week-long Intel Intentional Science and Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF) is the world's largest pre-college celebration of science and is held annually in May. This event brings together approximately 1,500 of the brightest high school students from all 50 States and 50+ countries, regions, and territories to compete for more than $4 million in Grand Awards scholarships, tuition grants, internships, scientific field trips, and three grand prizes of $50,000 college scholarships. In addition to the Grand Awards there are numerous Special Awards, including scholarships, sponsored by private organizations, professional societies, and governmental agencies that are also valued at about $4 million.

We are now about a month away from the 2009 Intel ISEF and we still need several hundred more judges spread over all seventeen categories but especially in the life sciences, including Animal Science, Medicine and Health, Plant sciences, etc. Would you be willing to forward an e-mail message containing the embedded announcement below?

Any assistance that you can provide in this matter would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks.

Regards, Dick

Richard C. Simmonds, D.V.M., M.S.
Judging Co-Chairman, 2009 Intel ISEF

Emeritus Director, Laboratory Animal Medicine
Nevada System of Higher Education
Emeritus Professor of Physiology, University of Nevada,
School of Medicine
Applied Research Facility (MS199)
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, Nevada 89557
CELL: (775) 742-7944
FAX: (775) 784-4201
E-Mail: [email protected]

The 2009 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair will be held in Reno, Nevada, May 10-16, 2009
and we need your help!

WHAT IS IT?

What it is not is your mental memory of your experiences at your local elementary school’s science fair. The week-long Intel Intentional Science and Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF) is the world's largest pre-college celebration of science and is held annually in May. This event brings together approximately 1,500 of the brightest high school students from all 50 States and 50+ countries, regions, and territories to compete for more than $4 million in scholarships, tuition grants, internships, scientific field trips, and three grand prizes of $50,000 college scholarships. Major universities, government agencies, military branches, and businesses come to recruit from the best pool of future scientists in the world. The Intel ISEF is managed by the Society for Science and the Public (previously, Science Service) and was founded in 1950 and is proud to have Intel as the title sponsor of this prestigious international competition.

We need several hundred more Grand Awards Judges to judge student projects in 17 different categories: Animal Sciences; Behavioral and Social Sciences; Biochemistry; Cellular and Molecular Biology; Chemistry; Computer Science; Earth and Planetary Science; Engineering: Electrical and Mechanical; Energy and Transportation; Engineering: Materials and Bioengineering; Environmental Management; Environmental Science; Mathematical Sciences; Medicine and Health; Microbiology; Physics and Astronomy; and Plant Sciences (judges especially needed in bolded categories).

Grand Awards Judges need to be available on site the afternoon of Tuesday, May 12, and all day Wednesday, May 13, 2009. Grand Awards judges must have a doctorate degree OR a minimum of six years related professional experience beyond receiving their bachelors or masters degree. Individuals NOT ELIGIBLE to serve as ISEF Judges are science fair directors, ISEF Official Party members, or practicing elementary, secondary or high school teachers. Parents or research mentors of student finalists are not eligible to judge in the same category in which the student with whom they have a relationship is competing.

WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER VOLUNTEERING AS A JUDGE

Give back to and support your profession by validating the excitement these best and brightest young scientists and engineers have demonstrated through their participation in the worldwide science and engineering fair competition.
If from an academic institution, earn community service or outreach credit towards tenure.
A great deal of personal satisfaction.
It is a great time of year and reason to visit Reno – bring your spouse and kids, a colleague, or friend.

FOR FULL DETAILS ABOUT JUDGING, PLEASE GO TO THE HOST COMMITTEE’S WEB SITE AT http://isefnevada.com/judge.php AND, TO SIGN UP, CLICK ON THE RED “JUDGES APPLICATION FORM” BUTTON
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)