AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case 1020 head 3" cut vs 1-1/2"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dave morgan
Posted 11/10/2006 16:50 (#60085 - in reply to #60055)
Subject: RE: Case 1020 head 3" cut vs 1-1/2"

Somerville, Indiana
we have ran both...the 3 inch cut runs faster than the 1 1/2 inch cut...not in mph but in strokes/minute...3 inch is cheaper maintain, 1 1/2 has cast iron guard system with the moving cutting section extending a little past the point of the guard...in some conditions this is a plus, never been a minus that I have seen...reason we went to them the first time was because it was the only thing offered that was bolt on sections, in this area at least...that was a big plus-bolt on sections.

One big thing to remember, all cutter bars will do a good job if they are straight and new[sections and guards sharp]...like concaves and rotor bars they wear gradually until they don't do a suitable job anymore...when that time comes, the 3 inch design is much cheaper to rebuild than the 1 1/2 inch.

I really don't think we had as much section breaking with the 1 1/2 inch cut but haven't run them side by side so I can't really say that to be a point in its favor...when they first came out, the Tiger Jaw system had much stronger guards, but the 3 inch guys got their act together shortly after they seen so many changing cutter bars.

we have had much trouble with the right end sections not cutting like the rest of the bar, but that has been because the end support got bent down just a bit, hard to notice but it shows up good when running the bar on the ground over already cut beans.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)