AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Possible air leak on 4640 found
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 3/26/2009 22:49 (#658091)
Subject: Possible air leak on 4640 found

I think I might have found the source that was allowing dirt to be sucked into the engine on our 4640 that I posted on last night. I spent most of the afternoon removing the air filter housing & air hoses from it to the turbo & inspecting them. There was more dust than to my liking in the air tube that feeds the turbo. There wasn't any dust in the rubber elbow coming out of the back of the filter housing that the turbo tube connects into.

Right at the connection there was some heavier dirt, appeared to be dust that had gotten wet. Right in this area the hose clamp was about 1/2" away from the end of the tube & the tube where it stuck out past the clamp had a small bulge in it. Apparently it has been this way since it came from the factory as the tube was & clamp were painted green ( no paint under the tube. I reassembled eveything and put a light coating of silcone gasket material on all the connections and made sure the clamps were at the outside edges of the tubes. I also removed the air pressure indicator switch and siliconed around that & reinstalled the switch.

I'm hoping this solves the problem but plan on pulling an oil sample at 50 hrs as a precaution. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

boog

BTW, I put 15w-40 oil back in it.

Edited by boog 3/26/2009 23:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)