AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Pilatus PC-12 crashes in Cemertery @ Butte MT
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 3/24/2009 20:33 (#655314 - in reply to #655073)
Subject: RE: It is not difficult to Over Gross a GA plane.

Little River, TX
Dave I have no experience in actual use of deicing boots. I believe the book says the system has to be turned on before entering icing, as the boots can not catch up with heavy ice.

In theory a B-52 would not ice because of it's speed and ability to keep the leading edge surfaces above freezing.

The wings are what everyone gets excited about but I am more concerned about the horizontal stabilizer. It is designed to keep the planes nose up by pushing the tail section down.

A few planes do not have dynamic stability, ( the idea is the nose drops when the tail looses it's reverse lift) The F-16 and several other high performance planes do not have this function, which is why they use a computer to fly the plane. Some of the really high performance acrobatic planes also are not stable. Not like a F-16 but require as much attention as flying a helicopter.

A trick you can use to improve fuel efficiency with your Cessna 172 or 210 is to load it with the CG as far back as the tables will allow. Then you will not need as much negative lift to hold level flight. To do this you can let the wife fly the plane and you ride in the aft seat after reaching cruising altitude. Get back in a front seat before descent for landing. I knew a lady who kept a case of oil strapped down in the luggage compartment of her Cherokee 235. Her problem was with that big engine up in front she would run out of elevator trying to get the nose up to force a Take off and Departure Stall for training. or to demonstrate her flying proficiency during her biannual review.
OBTW I found the ladies usually are the better pilots.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)