AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

V blade plow to kill rye
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 3/23/2009 11:31 (#653603 - in reply to #653530)
Subject: I still use one.....

Kansas
I'd have to see a picture of this field before I comment.

Heavy vegetation they will plug up and don't worth worth a dang.

If it rains anytime soon after using them and the rain amounts to anything at all alot of the vegetation won't die.

Thier biggest pro back in the day was it was a way of working the soil, killing weeds, without disturbing much soil to save moisture.

Alot of guys that havn't gone completely notill in the area still use them. Hp requirements vary with soil type and how deep you want to go. Generally you run them fairly shallow as their idea is merely like a hoe, to slice off the weed below the soils surface and kill the plant and then the roots die off. There is no reason to bury them super deep but then again, in sandy soils a 1066 could easily pull a 5x5. Get in Gumbo and it spin it's butt off and you'd have to pull the t.a. lever back going up a hill with a 4x5 v-blade.

Sounds to me like you'd just be better off either going in with a disc and turning it over if it's much vegetation at all or spraying it and killing it and then no-till seed in behind.

If I saw a picture of what your wanting to kill it be better. We have used them to tear up old alfalfa ground. They really pull hard there and sometimes there is an issue with them not staying in the ground too. Always go with an odd number set of blades. The evens don't work as nice.

(7x5 sweep.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 7x5 sweep.jpg (76KB - 45 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)