AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Conservation Problem Kinda Long
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JJS
Posted 3/20/2009 07:38 (#650283)
Subject: Soil Conservation Problem Kinda Long

Southern Lower Michigan
I rent a farm from a widow. Last summer I talked her in to letting me tile it. It had an area which I thought was a wetland (approx 2 A.). Widow didn't think it was a wetland, but couldn't really remember.
So I applied for a mittigation ( trade off of land). The distric conservationest (DC) and her assistant, came and looked at it, and said that it does not look like a problem. She would send out the State Biologist, and State Soil Scientist. They both come out and do their thing.
The Biologist states that it should work, and that is a low level wetland, and probly would not have to give acre for acre. The soil scientist thinks it could work also.
Then the biologist then expresses concern over wheather tile would help the area, and thinks I might have an erosion problem with the area if tiled. We discuss this then they leave.
A week later the DC comes back with the state engineer." The biologist alerted them that that I might not benifit from the Tile, So in their concern they call in the engineer" . He looks over the sight, and questions wheather I could get enough fall. He then surveys, and says in his opinion that tile would not work, not enough fall.. I say ok and say that I will get my tile man, and get his opinion. My man looks it over sets up his lazer and finds that it will work as is, but will be maxed out. Will work even better if we can lower the culvert across road at the outlet. I check with township, and road commission, They can do. So I inform DC.
The next week she calls and says they cannot mittigate as wanted need better site than what is on farm, this is an flowing wetland , and the new sights would not be flowing water, and I can appeal decision.
I start looking at FSA maps, In looking at some older ones, I notice area is listed as PC Prior Conversion, Which to my understanding is elegible for tile. I call DC back and inform her of my finding. She gets kind of defensive, and says sorta To Bad. We made our decision, and unless you have a previous determination by a DC the decision stands.
I am going into meet with her today, and am wondering what my chances are, and if there is any advice I can Get?

Joe
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)