AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

possible causes for coolant in oil on cat 3406E?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

poorboy
Posted 3/19/2009 13:11 (#649529 - in reply to #648788)
Subject: RE: possible causes for coolant in oil on cat 3406E?

Southern Alberta
I live in Alberta, and the economy is still strong here, nothing seems to be dropping yet. Shop rates are still double what they were 4-5 years ago, and help wanted adds everywhere. There are signs of slowing though, and hopefully I can isolate the leak and if it a major repair then maybe it will more affordable to fix in 4 or 5 months.

I had a good look at the water pump and it sits up high on the right front side of the engine, but I do not see a spot for a weep hole. Any idea of where it is located (front/rear/ center/etc)?

Sent an oil sample for confirmation of coolant. The oil on the dipstick is much thicker on the bottom portion of the dipstick, but when I dumped out a couple of gallons of oil after the engine sitting for a couple of days, it is not a white creamy color. It is however a very thick black consistency. Not sure if I just caught it very early, or if something else is going on. I have only seen coolant in passenger vehicles with small oil capacities and they turn very white. Not sure what a small amount of coolant in 11-12 gallons of oil would look like.

Thanks to everyone for the different experiences and insight.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)