AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Redman, how do you fill your airtank with 10" auger?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Redman
Posted 11/4/2006 23:35 (#58140 - in reply to #57902)
Subject: RE: Redman, how do you fill your airtank with 10" auger?

SW Saskatchewan
Sorry I left the impression we HAVE a 10" auger. What we use is an 8" by 50 ft Sakundiak with a Wheatheart mover, hydraulic winch and electric clutch. It doesn't seem very fast but it does beat that old 6x27 Mayrath that we bought back in '52.

What we do is place the auger under the trailer hopper, we have a home built grain hopper on the auger that won't run over when we shut off the clutch.

Have a longish spout on the auger, lower it into bin enough to allow clean out room when the spout starts to fill. Shut off electric clutch, shut off trailer hopper, raise spout clean auger, pulltrailer ahead, climb bin, move spout, get off and open trailer and lower spout, fill with fert, shut off clutchand raise auger. Next time fill fert first.

Just switch trailers when you need a refill!

The tow-behind flex 2320 is backed under the auger, not too much of a trick if you get the unit reasonably straight before backing up. otherwise with an articulated tractor you will never have the proper perspective to get in position. Somedays I have it , otherdays I don't !

If my brothers towbetween is to be filled next, we raise the auger enough to clear the tractor cab, pull in and lower auger and proceed the same. Lift auger and back out. This is easier because there are no wheels under cart front and backing is easier.

We park the trailer at field edge and will travel a fair distance to it if on a big field. Occasionally if we are seeding separately, I will use a box truck but find the hydraulic fill auger a nuisance and slow plus two trucks if using fert is frustrating. Also find that they are just waiting to get stuck in a soft field!

I saw the 10" sakundiak and hawes mover at the Regina farm progress show this year- heartily endorse the bigger auger but I would think that 40' might be short. I also like the idea of a bigger tank but in our conditions I feel that we would have too much compaction if going for too big a tank. Would need to go see Ed B. for a cat fix!

Our 8" wore out after 9 yrs of seeding and bin emptying, nothing ever seems to last like it used to. That old mayrath with spiral wrap 3/16 steel tube still doesn't have a hole in it!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)