AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My vertical till and fertilizer applicator project. (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 3/13/2009 23:03 (#643681)
Subject: My vertical till and fertilizer applicator project. (pics)

Hi all. Finally getting a few minutes here and there in the shop for a change. Last week I ordered a few parts for an addition to the Ron's coulter kits I bought last spring for a chisel plow. I want to put down some fertilizer with it this spring. So anyway, most of my metal parts showed up this afternoon, so I figured I'd post a little about the project and see if I'm on the right track or not.

Here's a few pics of how at least most of the setup will go together. I still have to order the pieces for the depth control and Ron Kile is making up the order for the rest of the fert tips now. They should be here soon.

The idea behind the way I designed this, is to reduce or eliminate any jigging of parts to weld. I kept changing the design for several days till I finally got the thing to where I dont have do much more than paint the parts. So if you might be wondering why is this idiot doing it this way?,...reducing any time waste jigging and welding is the reasoning behind the madness.

The drawings.

Surplus center had/has a good deal on some bearings. I bought these from them. 3/4" bore.

The laser cut pieces. Sure is nice to have a laser cutter locally now. They also have a computerized brake so I had them do some bending to save on welding.

I had to have the inside circle holes drilled in the bearing plate cause they are 3/8" holes and the plate is 1/2". This added some to the cost, but having it done with a cnc is soooooo much better than having to over drill everything after I try it with a center punch and dull drill bit.

Gotta love it when the bolts fit the way they're supposed to. You can see the other plate has a larger set of holes in the same place as these 3/8" drilled holes. They are for the heads of the 3/8" bolts to fit into when the two plates are sndwiched together.

The bearing showing the depth of the bolt head as it sits in the bearing race.

The plates sandwiched and the backside reveals, though somewhat losely in the picture cause the bolt is not tightened, the depth of the bolt head.

Here's a hub from one of the two new Ron's coulter kits I just bought to expand the width of the tool.

As the wavy coulter sits on the hub. Had to measure the depth of the bolt head on this side too, minus the blade thickness.

Ok, now we have both plates and the bearing put together. This is how it sits on the coulter. There is about .060" between the two bolt heads. The set screws in the bearing can hold the bolt for tightening the nut on the outside since there is no way to get to the bolt head once things are together.

Another view of the same just to get a better idea of the depth required. Again, it may look big and clumsy, but I wanted to eliminate the expense of any machining, so in my primitive, un-educated brain, this is how it needed to be done. Besides, weight certainly is not an issue as I need more weight on the machine anyway.

This piece I call the "tine hitch". It is to connect the fert tines to the bearing.

Here is the one fertilizer tine I have for an example. I wish I had 2 but the rest are on their way soon. I removed the fert tube to make it easier to handle for mocking things up for measuring.

How the tine sets with the tine hitch. The center piece is bolted to the inside of the tine and will be used to hold the tines at their respective spacing and to be used for the depth control mechanism when I get those parts made.

Just another view of the tine/coulter blade relation.

And a final view cause that's all the further I am with the setup right now.

Thanks for looking. Hope it did'nt waste your time too much. Any comments would be nice to hear.

edit: oh ya, and the other reason for the OD of the circles is for a backing ring for the coulter blades as I had a little issue with breaking out the blades around the bolts. I think it was because there was no backing ring and the bolt heads dont give enough strength by themselves to the blade.

Edited by Old Pokey 3/13/2009 23:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)