AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Did I make a mistake?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Hawken Cougar
Posted 11/1/2006 23:13 (#57280 - in reply to #57257)
Subject: RE: Did I make a mistake?

So. IL
I have no first hand experience with stalk shredders. However, I suppose they are similar to a rotary or flail mower. If that is the case the most likely possiblity is that the pto driveline clutch on the shredder was seized up and not functional. Without a functional slip clutch any driveline shock such as hitting a mound of dirt with the pto engaged can take out universal joints, gearboxes and/or drive shafts.

If the slip clutch was functional, is it possible that the drawbar was not located in the centerline of the tractor, left swinging or possibly set too short? Maybe the pto shaft on the chopper had been replaced and was too long? If any of these problems existed the pto shaft could have bottomed out when turning or crossing a ditch and cause the damage that you experienced.

It would be best to find the original problem that caused the damage that occurred. If not, the repairs to the gearbox and tractor could occur again next time you use the shredder.

The most important thing to remember is that nobody got hurt and machinery can be repaired or replaced.

Let us know what you find.

Edited by Hawken Cougar 11/1/2006 23:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)