AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1000 series cornheads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Cliff SEIA
Posted 3/6/2009 11:38 (#633801 - in reply to #633781)
Subject: RE: 1000 series cornheads

My brother did some research and the new Case IH heads (just introduced last year) use the same stalk rolls as the 1000 series heads and the new "hi-flow" spiral from a 3000 series head should fit on a 1000 series stock roll.  We considered buying a new 3400 series head or going with a Drago or Gerringhoff when we trade from a 6 to an 8 row head this year but have come to the conclusion that we can start out with a 1083 carcass and build it up the way we want for less than a third of the cost of a new head.  I do like that some of the aftermarket heads are built heavier than OEM but with the price and availability of aftermarket parts for the 1000 series heads I think the maintance costs with them will still be lower than the "better built" heads.  The best thing we did to our 1063 was change the gathering chain idler sprockets over to the Deere sprockets from Shoup, they are the same price and bolt right on but they have a better bearing.  We used to get about a season out of the IH sprockets but we have two full seasons (1,500 acres per season on a 6 row head) on the Deere sprockets and they still don't have any play in them. 
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)