AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sharpening Krause tandem disk???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Cowboycorn
Posted 3/5/2009 18:16 (#632868 - in reply to #632807)
Subject: Re: Sharpening Krause tandem disk???

north central Oklahoma
I have a disc roller, once did it for others. It is a lot of work.

Rolling a disc involves to big hardened 5 or 6" wheels. There is an art to setting it if one has the spring tensioner, but if one uses the ratchet, then not so critical of angle of approach. It grabs the disc material about 1/2 to 3/4" back from the edge, and pulls it out and replaces the original concavity. All these guys who think the have razor sharp discs are blowing smoke. That is what half a dozen neighbors told me when I offered to sharpen their disc about 20 years ago one time. I offered to do it for half price or nothing if they didn't like the job. The first one complained that he couldn't pull it any more (remember, most smaller discs were pulled with the wheels clear off the ground to even get into the soil surface). Said he had to drop down two gears to pull it, it just pulled too dang hard. I went by to check on his complaints. What an idiot, the problem was it was going in the ground now deeper than it had ever gone in the past 10 years of no sharpening (rolling)

The difference in rolling vs grinding, is (1) doesn't not remove any material, just pulls it out to a point and original concavity (2) not so hard onthe eardrums, that grinding is noisy, and (3) does not take near as long as grinding.

If all ya want to do is stir the top of hte ground, leave your disc the way it is. If ya want to turn dirt, keep it sharp. Most farmers don't realize the importance of tha original concave on that disc, that is what cuts. An old disc may look sharp, but at the angle it is set, there is alot of disc surface holding it out of the ground, keeping it from cutting right.

my two pesos
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)